Thursday, August 21, 2014

this was tomorrow #7839

"Most utopias are terribly boring. Why? Because nothing naughty happens in a utopia. And science fiction is always full of naughty things happening. You may think science fiction writers are for technology - and I think from the top of our heads, we're for technology - but underneath that, we fear it. So things are always going wrong in science fiction novels"

          Brian Aldiss, interviewed for this cool BBC 2 report on a 1979 science fiction convention in Brighton, for the series Time Out of Mind.


1 comment:

Bollops said...

Fantastic! Plenty to love in there, but I especially enjoyed the argument about fanzines. And cosplay in 1979!

Inspired me to dig around for more episodes, which I couldn't find but it did lead me to this, which has a heap of photos from the event:

http://fanac.org/worldcon/Seacon/w79-p00.html